Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Different Perspective to Ultrarunning

Later today I'm making the 2+ hour drive up to Titusville, PA to participate in the Oil Creek 100 Miler. You might be saying, "wait John, didn't you say no more ultra for 2009?". Well, you'd be correct. I'm not racing in the 100 miler, nor am I volunteering at an aid station. I decided to pay-it-back, so to speak, and volunteer as a pacer for the last 30 miles. I specifically informed the volunteer staff that I wanted to pace someone shooting for a +25 hour time so that I could have a nice easy run with someone not worried about breaking any speed records. It's going to be dark, and it's going to be cold (into the 30's)...but I think it will be an incredible experience seeing what it's like from the other side. I've had the good fortune of having two incredible pacers volunteer to help me at the Vermont 100 and Leadville 100, and both ran with me without complaint and without question. It's now my turn to return that favor by doing the same for someone else.

I hope to take some pictures, but I will post a report talking about the experience regardless. Should be fun!

-john