Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gearing Up for the '09/'10 Antarctic Field Season


So a few updates...

My Antarctica deployment is coming up....and fast. I spent the past two weeks fixing up my Masters Thesis and making adjustments based on comments from my defense. I submitted what I consider to be a "final" version to my committee yesterday and am awaiting to see if they will give me the signatures I need to submit to the Grad School and get my degree. Because of my deployment, I delayed my actual Graduation until May of next year. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get paid while down south (or have health insurance).

The PhD applications are nearing completion as well. All of the tedious logistics are just about done. GRE scores sent, all three letters of recommendation are either done or being written, and all of the on-line applications are filled out. The only thing I have left to do is to write my "Statement of Purpose", and upload it to the online forms before paying the application fees and submitting. This is my project for the rest of this week and early next week.

Next weekend I head up to Rochester to spend a few days with my mom and sister, celebrating early birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years...all in one. The downside of being in Antarctica over Winter.

I haven't thought yet much about where I will go hiking in New Zealand this year (or Australia), but I've got a few ideas brewing. No matter where I go, or what trails I hike, it will be worth it. I had very much wanted to do a Benton Mackaye, John Muir, or Long Trail length trail this year, but it just wasn't possible. I will have time next week to do a 3 day loop in PA (maybe black forest trail again) if I want to, but I haven't decided if I will or not yet. It will depend on the weather.

That's it for now. Racing season is over for '09 (save maybe a possible 5 or 10k).

-john

Some photos from last season....(starting to get excited again!)

The 1000-meter core
Trying to keep from falling off of the bottom of the Earth
Halo with Sun Dogs
Running the Dielectric Properties Machine




No comments: