Friday, May 7, 2010

Day 15: Cruisin' and Bruisin' in Big Bear City

Location: Big Bear City : Zero Day 1

Enjoying a nice day off here in town. Did my usual postal stuff and
laundry, and now just relaxing. I went to the outfitter and got a sun
hat...finally.

The story on the bruised arm is pretty embarrasing. During an 8 mile
road walk a few days ago, I slipped on loose gravel. As I was
falling I grabbed a metal bar on the side of the road (the kind with
the white reflectors) and it tore my wool shirt and arm up on the
process. Doesn't hurt anymore really, but looks nasty.

Anyhoo, thought this would be a good time to talk a little about gear
so far:

Favourite piece of gear so far:
Backpacking Light Merino wool hoodie
I love this shirt. Sucks that I tore it up. I hand sewed it, but I
don't know if it will hold.
Close second: Brooks Cascadia 5 shoes. Great shoes. No blisters or
foot pain and with almost 300 miles on them they still look new.

Most worthless piece of gear:
Mountain Laurel Designs Gaitors. Terrible design. I am ordering some
Dirty Girl gaitors on line.
Close Second: Six Moons Meteor Bivy. Very annoying to setup and
use. I sent it home already.

Gear I was most glad to have: gps during snowy sections and 15 degree
bag.

Will write more later....

2 comments:

Boris T said...

That's looks real nasty. Good to know it's not serious though.

Jeremiah said...

glad it isnt trail ending...that would of sucked, especially on a road walk section! Love reading your journal entries! Thanks for the gear update!

Happy hiking,
Shepherd