Friday, May 27, 2011

Dusting off the Kayak and Memorial Day Weekend

Working my way up the Black Moshannon Headwaters

Last night I finally dusted off the kayak and took it out for a leisurely tour up at Black Moshannon.

A nasty storm had just rolled through and so the sky was still littered with spectacular clouds.  The sunlight had a fantastic way of peeking through...it was really quite magical.  The water was calm, the bugs were at a minimum, and the Spring Peepers were in full song.  It was really nice to just float along on the water.  I made my way down to the end of the lake and started navigating my way through the twisting and winding corridor of the creek that feeds into it.  It was absolutely fanstastic.

On an unrelated note, this weekend is Memorial Day Weekend...which means a quick trip up to see the family in Rochester.  There'll be lots of barbecuing and all-out relaxing.  Tomorrow morning my sister, mother, and I are all running in a 5k.  This will be the first time we've ever done a race together.   I'm sure the old man is have a small chuckle over this.  Should be a lot of fun.

Other than that, not much else going on.  Been running...a lot.  Really trying to maintain my peak fitness for the upcoming trail races and ultras.  I have even been trying my luck at running twice a day.  I go out for usually 3 miles right when I get up as a kind of wake-up run.  I have affectionately been calling them my "coffee runs" as they sort of get my morning blood moving first thing in the morning.  Of course I still partake in my actual cup of coffee upon return....but that's another issue altogether.  Then, I go out like usual later in the evening once it gets cooler for a longer normal daily run.  We'll see how long it is until I get tired of that :-)  My first real trail run is next weekend, an 18 mile hilly/technical race in the mountains near State College.   Can't wait to try out my trail legs.

Anyhoo...off to pack.   Here are some more Black Moshannon pics:





And a video:

...and for you map geeks like me: Black Moshannon Map

1 comment:

UltraChris said...

How peaceful and relaxing! Have a great weekend, John. Looking forward to seeing you July.