Wednesday, February 22, 2012

2012 Badwater Ultramarathon

282' below sea level - Badwater Basin

Something remarkable happened this morning.  Something that I'm still not sure I've fully digested yet.  Like most mornings, I got up, showered, ate some cereal, and set out to begin my day.....

First some background.  A few weeks ago, I went through the motions again of submitting an application to the world famous Badwater Ultramarathon.  Arguably one of the top 5 toughest foot races in the world.  It was not my first time applying and I have always been declined on previous attempts,for obvious reasons (a weak ultra resume).  This year again I figured it would be no different, so after hitting that "submit" button, I frankly put it out of my mind and didn't get too excited about it.  I figured my chances would again be slim.

I have been single in focus for the past month and a half.  I have an enormous personal challenge of sorts coming up sometime in the next 6 weeks that I've been training for harder than I have for any other previous event.  Needless to say, this upcoming event is very important to me.  BUT...it is also something I've decided not to share with anyone. It is a personal challenge that I will face alone...and perhaps talk about once it's over.  The thought of other ultras has been so far from my mind right now as I focus on this singular event that I honestly have not been even thinking about what races I have already scheduled.  Races like Leadville, and Massanutten, and Vermont....so far from my mind.

But then, something unexpected happened.  I opened my email this morning and saw this:

"Hello John!

Congratulations! You have been accepted to compete in the 2012 Badwater Ultramarathon, presented by AdventureCORPS, Inc. You are part of a select group who will participate in what is recognized across the globe as “the world’s toughest footrace.” In the near future, we will include your name and biographical information on the online roster."

holy crap. 
holy crap.
seriously
holy crap.
I'm in.  Now...how the hell to pay for it....

I'm gonna need some crew too, and white clothes, and reflectors, and sprayers, and minivans....  ahhhhh, so much to think about now!  I'm trying not to think too much about this new development as I work to continue my current training program for my more impending challenge in a few short weeks.

It's taking all of my willpower to not get giddy excited about the fact that I'll be running Thee Badwater race.  The one and only...but I have to keep and maintain my focus more to the present for now.  Believe it or not, what I have coming next month is actually even more important to me and something that I can say in all honesty that I'm more proud, honored, and truly humbled to be a part of.

anyhoo...

No matter what comes of it....2012 is going to be a great year indeed.

(oh and I will say, that the Mt. Whitney summit is a part of the course in my book, even if not officially....just an fyi)

5 comments:

Katie said...

Awesome news! Congratulations, John.

phil said...

Congrats and best of luck

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

Nice the way it squeezes into your race schedule. Some might say it is a tight squeeze;-) Would be cool to have a support van following you. I actually have a yet to be published URG entitled, "Home is where the support van is".

Lakewood said...

EJ...loving the URG idea :-)

You're definitely right about the "tight schedule" Not quite sure yet what I'm going to do about Vermont. I will definitely drive up there for the race regardless.

R A said...

Congrats John..sure is exciting news. All the best.